National Eligibility Test (NET) is a national level exam conducted by University Grants Commission (UGC) to determine eligibility for lectureship and for award of Junior Research Fellowship (JRF). This exam also serves the purpose of ensuring minimum standards for entrants in teaching profession and research.
Depending on performance of candidates in the three papers of NET, UGC awards them JRF and eligibility for Assistant Professor. Here we will look at some tips to help you perform better in the UGC-NET exam.
It’s generally believed that the exam is tough and difficult to clear. However, the truth is that UGC-NET is not difficult to achieve target if you have the right strategy in place and good UGC Exam books.
Let’s have a look at some tips for preparing for UGC-NET-
- Prepare well in time – Once you have decided to appear for UGC-NET exam, it is a must for you to devote time in your preparation. Begin your preparation well in time, at least three to six months in advance. Come up with a study plan or timetable that not only focus on completing the syllabus but also provides you time to revise it.
- Understand the syllabus – UGC-NET exam covers a vast syllabus and if you are planning to clear it, you must run through the syllabus thoroughly. In-depth understanding of the syllabus is important so that you can prepare for each topic accordingly. Understanding the syllabus will also help you start your preparation well ahead in time and there will be no need to skip a topic.
- Prioritise the subjects – It’s natural for anyone to be good at some topics and bad at the others. It’s up to you to figure out which subjects need more effort and prepare a priority order to study them. Remember that if you do not clear the first paper, you won’t be able to clear the NET as well. So give equal importance to all the three papers.
- Solve past Question Papers – The previous years’ question papers can be your key to crack this exam. They tell you what to expect in the exam and set the bar for level of preparation and hard work you need to put in and also provide you the clarity of concepts.
- Speed is vital – solving more questions makes you aware of the time required to solve these questions in the exams. You need to have a strategy in place to complete maximum questions within the allotted time.
- Be accurate – You may be fast in solving questions but if you are not accurate, it’s all in vain. Write answers that are crisp and to the point and do not miss out on anything you know.
Remember, if you have decided to clear the UGC-NET, you need to pull up your socks and start preparing. Be confident because at the end of the day your answers will reflect the confidence that you have. Get some good UGC Exam books and start preparing today.